Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Row Row Row Your Kayak

After reading thesmartlocal post, I decided to jio asking him along X to go Kayaking with me.


Row, row, row your kayak, gently down the stream. 
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

We went to Water Sports Centre located near Stadium MRT and Singapore Sports Hub. It is kind of difficult to find this Water Sports Centre, but it is so damn near to the MRT. Why? Because we reached there at around 8am, but we were lost for more than 30mins. For those who are going there as well don't make the mistake as us, when you exit the Stadium MRT (Exit A), just walked to the end of the covered/sheltered linkway, turn LEFT!

Anyway, this is their rates :)


My memories of kayaking were during Primary and Secondary School Camp. I think during Primary 5 (11 years old) and Secondary 3 (15 years old) that time. Not much impression about it except for the one during secondary camp. I remember I was too heavy that time, I have to partner with one of the bigger size teacher and the worst part was I was heavier than her. Anyway after 10 years, I am going to attempt this activity again.

So when we were sitting on the kayak, the lighter one will be seated in front and the heavier one will be behind. I get to sit in front! Finally! So the heavier one will get in the boat first. Please note this is a very tricky part. During those school camp, you get in the boat when the water is shallow. This time, you get in the boat like somewhere in the middle of sea! I admit I panicked and nearly backed out. I mean, what if I dropped inside?! But I manage to get on board after a while and getting impatient stares from lifeguards.

To be honest, kayaking is so fun and scary at the same time.

The fun parts are...

1) Scenery. It is like those Chinese painting with mountains and lake/sea, but here you get buildings and sea.

 


2) Away from the noise..... Okay, I lied. When we went there, there were some team training dragon boat and Standard Charter Marathon for Kids event. But I do enjoying seeing those dragon boat team train, nope, not because of the hunks or babes their movements are very in-sync.

3) Bonding time with your love one. Well, we saw a father-son duo kayaking together and some couples too. Seems like a more affordable dating place.

4) Best place to quarrel. Well.. you can paddle someone further away from the crowd and have some shouting match or just push him/her into the water.  Just joking!

The scary parts are...

1) The lifeguards/trainers will only give some safety advises, how to get on the kayak boat and then... OFF you go. No further instruction about how to kayak and etc. I guess you need to either ask them or just figure out yourself.

2) I don't know how to swim, so I have constant fear of falling off the boat and become fish food. Throughout the kayaking session, I keep relaying my fear verbally to X. His reaction is pretty similar to this image ↓. 
 
Lesson learnt: Don't trap in a island surrounded by water with me! 

We will be trying out hiking soon!  
soon = unknown future and most probably next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment